Monday, April 6, 2009

Call from Radiologist


Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

The radiologist (the salesman) called this morning to make plans about how to handle the breast cancer. His main concern was that it might be the same as the endometrial cancer. It is not however so it would be a completely different treatment. He said that the most important treatment would be the radiation for the endometrial cancer for now and the breast cancer could wait until we finished radiation. He wanted to personally cancel my appointments with the surgeon. He said that he would call and explain to him what we were going to do. I told him that I still wanted to meet with the surgeon.

I have felt like none of the doctors are being really honest with me. I am a realist and I need facts. Everyone wants to beat around the bush. Today I really pin-pointed him and he finally admitted that my chances are "not good" but I do have "a chance". He kept saying 20% so I asked if that adds 2-6 months to my life or what. He said that the 20% is based on a 5 years survival rate. Okay, it might give me a year. But that year will be miserable with the side effects from the full pelvic radiation which he admitted was going to be very diffiult. Once again, I have decided to go for quality of life over quantity of life. I will not be doing radiation therapy. The real catch to all of this is that the type of cancer that I have does not have a 5 years survival rate to start with, so what does that make the 20%? My common sense did not go on vacation without me after all.

I have researched my type of cancer, as much as possible, since there are not many studies, and the survival rates for this type of cancer, USPC, is approximately 24 months and that is for Stage I and II. All of the big cancer hospitals say the prognosis is poor - MD Anderson, etc.
Post a Comment