Saturday, March 20, 2010

"When God and Cancer Meet" ~by Lynn Eib

I have reprinted this article with permission from Heather from her site. I personally have not read the book yet but it is now on my list after reading Heather's site. Thank you Heather for allowing me to print this on my blog. ~Katherine

~From Heather's site ~
I’m telling you guys, I cant put this book down. Every page draws me in deeper, and reminds me of things I already know to be true, but have forgotten:

Think about it.
If God knows everything, the cancer diagnosis did not surprise Him.
If God sees everything, He saw the bad news coming.
If God has power over everything, He could have stopped it.

But He didn’t

There are so many hidden meanings in those words. He could have, but He didn’t. What that says to me is that He is in control, in every aspect of the universe, He is in control.

He is in control.
Errant cancer cells are not.
Toxic medicine is not.
White- Coated doctors are not.
Herbs and vitamins are not.
You are not.
I am not.

Wow. One of the toughest things that I have had to come to terms with is my lack of control through this cancer battle. I have had to put my life in my surgeons hands, my radiation oncologist hands and now my chemotherapy oncologist hands. I literally have no control, although I still fight valiantly to take it back because I think I can do it “better”, more “efficiently”.

But more importantly (and less easily) I have had to turn over all control to the person that never lost control, He never left His throne. My cancer didn’t take Him by surprise and He didn’t make a mistake. It is the sin of man that caused bad things to happen in this world. Not God. We (all of us, starting with adam and Eve) make the choice to trust Him completely or turn from Him completely.

There is no middle ground, no gray area.

We often act shocked when bad things happen to those we love. We picture God acting as surprised as we are by our current situation. But He is not.

My circumstances do not take God by surprise. Your circumstances do not take God by surprise. He is right where he has always been, on His throne.

All He requires of us is for us to depend on him, completely… without fear or trepidation. To rest in the palms of His hand, and to depend on him in our deepest darkest times, just like we praise Him in our glorious times.

God is Sovereign. His ways are not our ways, and His thoughts are not our thoughts.

People often say that God doesn’t change, that He is the same “Yesterday, Today and Forever” (Hebrews 13:8). I wholeheartedly agree- His character doesn’t change. But His ways sometimes do.

Just flip through the bible and you’ll see that sometimes He intervenes with a miracle; sometimes He doesn’t.

God is the same.
The same God of love.
The same God of mercy.
The same God of justice.
The same God of holiness.
The same God who can do things as differently in our lives as He wants.

This next quote took the breath right out of my chest. I had to sit and think about a few minutes before it really sank in:

He cannot act contrary to His character, but He doesn’t have to act in accordance with our plans or in the same way in each of our lives.

Wow. He cannot act contrary to His character. He does not have to act in accordance with our plans.

So many times we demand things from God. We only need Him when something serious comes up, but during the good times we are content, putting Him up on the shelf, but keeping sight of Him “just in case”…

I don’t want to be one of those “Just in casers”. I want to trust Him in the good times and in the bad. I want to praise Him for my blessings along with my hurts and fears.

I owe Him that much. I love Him that much.

I trust Him that much.

I’ve told you all this so that trusting me,
you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace.
In this godless world you will
continue to experience difficulties.
But take heart! I’ve conquered the world.
John 16:33 (The Message)
Post a Comment