Monday, April 26, 2010

Hawaiian Volunteer Dinner 2010

The last two weeks have been the most exhausting and yet the most enjoyable weeks that I have had in over a year and a half. It was exhilarating to feel well enough to take a part in planning and implementing the volunteer appreciation dinner at the church that took place right after 2nd service on April 25th.

I made fabric squares to go under the candles. I fringed the edges and then stitched them all so they would not continue raveling. I only made one trip to the store with Rebecca to pick up supplies for the dinner. She went many, many times by herself and then carried it all to the kitchen. We rolled 170 sets of silverware and then glued a Hibiscus on each one. We worked together on the centerpieces, which were glass bowls with a candle, sand, and seashells in each one. I always do a booklet with all of the volunteers listed under the ministry they work in – many are in more than one ministry. I was able to work on that at home and have the staff go over the rough drafts in staff meeting. I talked Rebecca in to doing the cover for me. She is so good at design and I am very mediocre when it comes to design. We did so much more stuff behind the scenes. We worked hard.

Rebecca planned the menu and set the most magnificent table. I will add a picture as soon as I get one.The Hawaiian dinner consisted of pulled pork with buns, teriyaki chicken wings, frog eye salad, potato salad, green beans, sweet potatoes with pineapple, fresh fruit baskets made from watermelon, pina colada punch, and for desert – Banana split cake. (It was so good.) Everyone ate and ate. It was a really fun time.

Rebecca had to be totally exhausted because she is in the process of remodeling her kitchen and dining room and she was doing all the painting herself while planning this whole dinner. Yep, she was working day and night and was worrying about me overdoing it. I will be the first to admit that I was worn out – but I made it. I know that God was watching over me and I am so thankful to Him. I must admit that I did have to give up when the cleanup started - I did help a little.
"When you work with all your heart, motivated by the love of Christ, your work will be transformed into an act of worship for God." ~Rick Warren

Post a Comment