Friday, October 15, 2010

Autumn in Colorado

It is autumn in Colorado and this is the first year that I have had the opportunity to really take the time and enjoy the scenery. Rebecca and I took off after church on October 3rd and did a road trip down south - in her convertible. It was absolutely the most amazing, perfect time of the year to see the color changes. We returned on October 7th.

We drove from Denver to Montrose - Sunday, to Durango - Monday, to Blanding Utah - Tuesday, then back to Glenwood Springs - Wednesday, and back to Denver on Thursday morning. We were back in time to have lunch, get the bulletin done and attend staff meeting.

Switzerland America in Ouray

We took the Million Dollar Highway from Montrose to Durango - spectacular! And, on this beautiful highway we had a 20 minute delay for road work. Not a big problem we took lots of pictures.

As we left Blue Mesa Lake we had not picked up speed yet when a deer ran across the road in front of us. After stopping to look at us he went over the embankment. I jumped out of the car to get a picture. When I started to get back in the car it was rolling so I just shut the door. That is when I noticed that we were on the road - there was no shoulder. We were blocking traffic - including a police car. He waved everyone to go around us and came up on my side of the car. He wanted to know if we had a problem so I just blurted out that a deer ran in front of us. He asked if we hit - no. Were we okay - yes. And then I said "I just wanted to take a picture of it." He told us to be careful and not to stop on this section to take any more pictures.

We spent the day in Mesa Verde seeing the Indian dwellings. We had lunch in the park and actually cooked out on Rebecca' little cook stove. We had Salmon, corn on the cob, apple dumplings. What a great lunch. In fact, we only at out one time during the four days. Two of the places we stayed did serve breakfast so we took advantage of that.

Utah was breathtaking. Pictures and more pictures. The only problem is that pictures do not do this beauty justice. There was just so much to see in our short trip that it is hard to tell about all of it. This is the longest time that I have been in a car since before I got sick. I had a wonderful time but I have to admit that I was exhausted once I got back.

Thank you God, for the beauty around me everywhere,
The gentle rain and glistening dew, the sunshine and the air,
The joyous gift of feeling the soul's soft, whispering voice
That speaks to me from deep within and makes my heart rejoice.
~~Helen Steiner Rice
Post a Comment