Saturday, January 1, 2011



My blessings for 2010 are many. It is hard to recap all that has happened but most of the details are in my journal “My Blog”. Yes I do believe in miracles because I know that God is always in control. I have tried to remain faithful to Him but I know that I have failed miserably. Will God continue to bless me and give me more time here on earth? Only He can answer that question. As most of you already know, my favorite verse in the Bible that I cling to most is Jeremiah 29:11. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” I struggle with knowing what His plan for my future might be.

I went into 2010 knowing that my cancer was spreading rapidly and that there was a good chance that this would be my last year. On February 5th I had a repeat PET scan along with my blood marker. I was really dreading the call from my oncologist but when he called he said that my cancer was not active and explained that this did not mean that I was in remission. Praise God! I had another PET scan before my surgery and had the same results.

The breast cancer was questionable but the biopsy showed that cancer was still present. In June I had a right breast mastectomy. The drainage lasted much longer than I anticipated but that was because my surgeon took all of the lymph nodes. I am now doing fine with this new procedure when getting dressed - it just took time.

Two major surgeries in two years and my body is still rebelling. I feel good but I get tired so easily. My back is doing much better since I only wear anti-gravity shoes. It does not hurt nearly as much now unless I am standing a lot. Such a blessing – I am not really fond of pain.

I will schedule more blood test and another PET scan sometime this month so that I can see where the cancer is going – or, better yet, not going. 

Rebecca and I took a road trip this fall through southern Colorado and back up on the Utah side. We had a wonderful time. The fall colors were absolutely beautiful – and the mountains, what can I say.

My other two trips were to Omaha to be with my aunt, Sister Johanna, for her 50th Jubilee in August and, of course, Christmas. Maybe Christmas in Omaha can become a tradition. I so love being with family for this holiday.


One of my most challenging and rewarding experiences was co-teaching a 6 week class, called  "First Principles". We had the opportunity to teach this class twice to spiritually thirsty women and they both were baptized before we finished the classes. Anita did the actual immersion for both women. Anita and I come from very different backgrounds. Anita's father was a pastor and I was raised Catholic. I must admit that this is something that I never thought I was capable of doing. It just shows one that you never know what God has planned for your life, so you need to take the time to listen to Him.


MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU IN 2011
Happy New Year

“The moment when you first wake up in the morning is the most wonderful of the twenty-four hours. No matter how weary or dreary you may feel, you possess the certainty that, during the day that lies before you, absolutely anything may happen. And the fact that it practically always doesn't, matters not a jot. The possibility is always there.”  ~Monica Baldwin

Post a Comment