Friday, February 18, 2011

Volunteer

I have volunteered at my church for many, many years now and continue even through my cancer journey. I love being a volunteer and am so thankful that I have more time to devote to volunteering - it is so rewarding for me. I wish that more people would try it.

It is amazing how different my life style is now from two years ago. I know that life changes daily but when it is in one giant swoop, it is a little overwhelming. Many, many things have changed for me.

One of the most interesting, as of late, is forgetting to go to appointments. This has caused much embarrassment on my part because I am always punctual – always have been. I am not really sure what to attribute this new behavior to. One of my problems, and I am not making excuses, is that I am no longer a morning person. This happened, of course, when I was diagnosed with cancer – life changed – drastically.

For about a year now I work the front desk on Friday mornings. They have moved the shift up 30 minutes and I have to be down there at 7:30 am. Come on, that is way to early. Once last spring I forgot to go down on a Friday the 13th. After that I was off for a couple of months because of my surgery. When I went back I was doing fine with the hours, so I thought. Recently two out of three Friday mornings I forgot to go down stairs. Actually I forgot to set the alarm so I slept late both days. I love sleeping late everyday except for Sunday.

Both Friday mornings Laurie called me a little after 10:30, when my shift ends. The first one she wanted to know how my morning was going, and I said that I was playing with Ember. And then she said something about it being Friday morning and I couldn't believe it - I forgot to go downstairs. The next time Laurie asked if I got to work on time. I said, no I don't have to be there until 3:00 - I was helping out at the Valentine dinner at church Friday night. She said, I mean this morning. NO! Not again. I was totally stunned.

When I got a hold of Lynn to apologize he said, “Your not a morning person”. At least they did not fire me. Guess it is too hard to find volunteers.  I switched my shift with Lynn and I now work on Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 pm. I think this is going to work much better for Francis Heights and especially me.

This probably has not been my most embarrassing moment by far, but it was still embarrassing enough. 
Post a Comment