Saturday, July 9, 2011

One bad toothache

I know that we have all been through our grueling moments at the dentist office but Thursday turned out to be a very different day than what it started out to be.

First of all I wanted the tooth pulled, it’s a molar in the back and causing lots of pain. The dentist wanted to do a root canal (4 roots on a molar) on it to save the tooth since it is attached to a bridge. I asked for the price difference because I don’t have the money to do extensive work. I called back and made an appointment to have the tooth extracted on Thursday morning at 10:20. When I got to the office they hade been trying to call me to change the appointment to 2:30 pm.

Now get this – the dentist had decided to do the root canal at the cost of the extraction. Never heard of this being done before. She just did not want to see me lose this tooth because it is my chewing tooth and I would also loose part of the bridge also.

I went back at 2:30 and she started on the root canal. Then she decided that she was not going to be able to save the tooth after all. Extraction!!! The tooth would not come out…it just kept breaking off because it was so brittle. She literally had to dig each root out…dig, drill, pull…dig, drill, pull…dig, drill, pull…dig, drill, pull! I was doing a lot of talking to God at this point!

It’s Gone! (This is the same tooth that I wrote about around the first of April.) When the dentist was finished after an hour and a half she asked about the red mark on my jaw line. I told her that it was from her grasp on my jaw. She couldn’t believe it and was so sorry.  It was very painful all day Friday but it is much better this morning. Still swollen but no bruising to my surprise.

I have never had a tooth not come out. She said the roots were attached to the bone. Well it is out now and we will be on to something else next month. There is always something new to look forward to.


“Prayer releases the power and wisdom of God into a situation.”
Post a Comment