Monday, September 2, 2013

I will be 70 years old

I do hope that my celebration never comes to an end. God has given me so many blessings that I cannot possibly list all of them. All of my family and good friends are a true blessing from our Father above.

How can I ever thank everyone for the beautiful gift that they gave to me. When I was diagnosed with terminal cancer five years ago - I only had about 24 months to live. God chose to keep me around because He decided that I was not finished doing his work. I do have momentary lapses of exactly why I am still here on this earth and not in heaven with my Father. Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

About six months ago I decided that I would throw myself a party to honor what God has done for me and also to celebrate my 70th birthday, which I was not going to see with my original diagnosis.
As I planned my celebration I knew I could not do it alone so I asked Rebecca to help me,  she did - most graciously. However, she also decided that I should have a money tree so that I could take another trip to Hawaii. (Many of you know how much I love Hawaii.) But, I had told her (and kept repeating) that there would be no gifts - that was not why I was having a celebration. Needless to say there was a money tree and the donations that were given allowed me to take a cruise to my beloved Islands of Hawaii. I never thought that I would get another chance.

There really is no way to thank all of you who gave so generously. It was decided rather quickly (because the price of the cruise was right) that there was enough money to take a cruise. If I did not do it right away, and use the money for its intended purpose then it would gradually get spent on something else and I did not want that to happen.
My celebration was on July 13th and Rebecca and I left on August 17th for Honolulu to board the ship, "Pride of America". Rebecca had never been to the Hawaiian Islands so it was such a treat for me to watch her taking pictures and loving every minute of being treated like royalty on the ship.

When we returned on the 25th of August, we were both exhausted after being up for 36 hours straight. We had to be off the ship early on the morning of the 24th and our flight did not leave Honolulu until 10:20 pm. Yes, we flew overnight as most of you know who have been to Hawaii. Then on Sunday we had a five hour layover in Phoenix. We finally arrived home at 3:00 pm MT but we were still on Hawaiian time so it was 9:00 pm by our internal clocks - jet lag - big time!

I had a worse time getting over the jet lag than Rebecca did, but I am also older than Rebecca - good excuse, right! I became a little depressed and grouchy for the better part of last week - I just did not want it to be over with so soon and I was so tired! Someone sent the "Breaking News" posted below - how appropriate.

All-in-all this has been the most marvelous year of my life and I would not trade it for anything. God is good - All the time!

Post a Comment