Friday, December 20, 2013

Merry Christmas 2013

 
Last fall (2012) I had to make a choice to put more money into my 11 year old car, or buy a new one. I made the decision to buy a new one with the idea that I would pay for it by getting a part-time job. I had already tried working at Little Sisters of the Poor but I only succeeded in progressing my spinal osteoarthritis. The job lasted about 6 months before I realized it was not worth what I was making. So, for the past year I have been searching for a job that would fit with my back and knee disabilities. Easier said than done. I applied for several part-time receptionist positions only to have them not return my call or, I received an email or letter of rejection. I am no dummy, who wants a 70 year-old lady working for them when they can hire someone much younger. Age discrimination would be hard to prove when there are so many people applying for the same positions.

A couple of weeks ago I was downstairs talking with my Resident Service Coordinator when she asked what I had done in the past. Turns out that we had both worked for the same Sunrise Assisted Living facility but not at the same time. She said that she had heard about me and the position that I had there as Activity Director. She said that Day Spring Villa had a part-time Activity Aide position open. I went right over and talked with them, filled out an application on-line to the main office in Wheaton IL and then waited for a phone call. After the phone interview from Wheaton and personal interview here, I had to wait on a decision. They had told me what they would pay but when I was finally offered the position the pay had increased considerably. What a blessing. God knows when I am at the end of my rope and once again answered prayers. It took over a year but this turned out to be my Christmas present from God. I started on Friday the 6th of December.

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Highlight of 2013 (in earlier postings) - My celebration of LIFE and thanksgiving to God our Father. What fun we all had at the celebration. And then, the cruise of the Hawaiian Islands. I am so blessed.

Ember, my little cat,  was very sick with Renal failure this past year but with an excellent vet and a lot of TLC she came out of it. This was a surprise to all...but I knew it was a blessing from God. "He is in control." (in earlier posting)

It is now December 20th and I absolutely love my new job. God knew what I needed and when I needed it. All I can say is that I am very blessed and thankful. It is so good to get back to work after a five year layoff. I am a changed person.
 


Post a Comment