Friday, June 18, 2010

Mastectomy

The surgery is over (June 7, 2010). I am still recovering at home. I only stayed overnight in the hospital. VNA (Visiting Nurses) come three times a week to check on me and get my vitals. I now have the same nurse each time. I regained the use of my arm almost immediately, just can’t lift anything heavy. I still have two drains in that are slowing down now so maybe I can get them out on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. There are a lot of variables to this step. However, once they are out, this girl starts driving again.

I have a wonderful surgeon. She tells it like it is but with a sense of humor. I like it when people are direct with me. She also clarifies information that I have researched on the Internet. This is heavy stuff I am going through and the humor is vital for me. "We need to laugh every day - and I do."

My good friend, Laurie, bought me a post mastectomy camisole today. (She is the one that spoiled Mario and gave him a wonderful home!) She wants me to come to her house for a cook-out on Sunday and she knew that I would not leave the house (except for doctor appointments) without a bra on. Six weeks - ouch - before they will write the prescription for a fitting at Nordstrams!

Once again, my best bud Rebecca, has been with me through all of my doctor appointments and my surgery. I am going to owe her a truckload of gas. (She has a convertible!!!) I can not wait until I get these drains out so we can go to the mountains. It needs to be sooner than later or my sanity may be gone by then.

Other wonderful friends have been bringing me meals and one young lady with 4 small children is going to clean my apartment for me and change my bedding. She has already done my laundry. The beautiful flowers on the table lift my spirits. In the past I have not been able to have flowers because the cats ate them or knocked them over. It must have been Mario because so far Ember has not touched them. Cannot forget my good friend Shirley who stayed all night with me in the hospital - with a very bad sprained foot/ankle - on crutches. What wonderful friends I have. So many phone calls and cards. I feel special. Too bad I am able to take care of myself again.

There is good news and bad news. Why does this always come in pairs? The good news - the margins were clear and only 2 of the 20 lymph nodes were positive for cancer. The bad news - I will be meeting with my oncologist next week to determine the next round of chemotherapy. (Please Lord, it has to be better than last time.) I really like this doctor also but the sense of humor is not there. Chemo, of course, is a tuff subject to deal with. Once again, I will take one step at a time and make a decision on radiation after the chemo is finished – if I can make it through this time. I will still take quality of life over quantity of life any day because I know what lies beyond this life.

I am feeling good I just don’t like what cancer has done to my body. I guess my mind will heal as I continue putting my faith in God. And meanwhile, I continue to hold on to Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

I am celebrating 2 years of survival from this dreaded disease and I know in my heart that it has been because of all the prayers you have sent up to the heavens for me.

My love to all of you and may God Bless you and your family with good health.
Post a Comment