Sunday, August 7, 2011

My tribute to Freida Story


I never had the opportunity to meet Freida and I never had the opportunity to talk to her, however, we traveled a very unusual journey together - Cancer!

Freida's brother, Mark Story, was the Worship Director at my church for several years. Mark would tell us about his sister who lived in California and was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. In February of 2008, after much chemotherapy and radiation therapy, the doctor's told her that she was "cancer-free". In July of 2008 I was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive cancer. In October 2008 Freida was again diagnosed with a rare cancer.   

The both of us with very different cancers, both aggressive, made very different decisions about treatment and did the best we knew how to beat this ugly Cancer. At 55 years of age Freida lost her battle and she is now in the arms of God...Friday, August 5, 2011.
Freida Story was an active single mother of two boys living in Los Gatos California, a small town in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains.  Like most moms she was very busy.  In addition to attending all her children's extracurricular activities, she ran a daycare in her home, directed children's theatre, sang in a local rock band, and on her vacation time led folks on tours all over the world with Queenslander Tours

Freida had the most awesome support system to help her through the tough days when she was so sick. I read her blog and I understand that she read mine. I could see her going down gradually and it broke my heart because there was nothing I could do to help her...so I prayed for her and her family every day.

She was such an inspiration to me because she was so active all the time and I could not figure out how she kept going so strong. I knew there must be something wrong with me because I couldn't do it. I could tell that she was a lady with a sense of humor. Every picture you see she is smiling or laughing. Laughing is good for the soul and I understand that she did plenty of that. There is so much I could say but it is hard to know where to begin. I will miss her so much. 

One day she was Disneyland with her family and people kept staring at her, Freida did not wear wigs she wore a scarf or went bareheaded. These are her words from that experience; "...being ignorant in this day and age actually requires more effort than being enlightened.  Regardless of someone's walk in life, we should first try to think of that person as a human being with all the rights a human being has.  The Golden Rule is the answer: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." 

I understand that instead of having a service for her they have planned a "Celebration of Life". Hopefully they will dress in some of her costumes that she wore every summer when she did the Children's Theater. I understand that she has a gigantic wardrobe. Just reading her blog I know that she would not want tears, unless they were tears of joy.
I am sorry that I never met you Freida - I will miss reading your blog postings. 
Dear God - we know that 
"You Are In Control"
Post a Comment