Saturday, December 3, 2011

Bulging disc

As life goes on, the daily blessings go on and on. I cannot believe that this year is almost over. Goodness, time goes so fast. My biggest accomplishment this year was to get a part-time job as a dietary aid at Little Sisters of the Poor, which is located right behind where I live…so convenient. It has not been without complications on my health…but I love the extra money and I love the people I work with. It is such a wonderful place.
 
I have osteoarthritis of the lumbar spine and have constant pain. I usually can tolerate low-grade pain and have learned to live with it. This past week the pain increased to my right hip and down the leg. Right – sciatic nerve. I am sure you all have had this pain at one time or another…not pleasant. I had to take some days off at work and I finally decided I needed to see the doctor to get some pain pills…I cannot take Advil per doctor’s orders and he was very upset because I was taking them for the pain.

I saw the doctor on Thursday afternoon and the news was not good. As I described my pain and how it is different this time, he said, “You have a bulging disk.”  Oh great, what am I supposed to do now. I am giving up my job, temporarily, but I am in hopes that they will find something for me that is not manual labor…like part-time receptionist. I will wait until the first of the year to pursue this further. I really do like the extra money but cannot justify giving up my health for it. The doctor said it would take about six weeks to start feeling better. I am just hoping that it does not interfere with flying to Omaha for Christmas and I certainly do not want it to rupture.

Little Sister’s knew that I had back problems when I went to work for them and they were very willing to work with me on my schedule and the hours I worked. I am not blaming any of this on the job even though I don’t think it helped any. I am just a little depressed over this.

Causes of Sciatica
A primary cause of sciatica is a herniated or bulging intervertebral disc that compresses the nerve root before it joins the sciatic nerve.

Several nerve roots leave the spinal cord and exit through holes in the sacrum to combine and form the sciatic nerve, which then passes between layers of the buttock muscles into the deep muscles of the back of the thigh.

Causes of Sciatic Pain

Sciatic pain results from the inflammation of the sciatic nerve and is usually marked by pain and tenderness along the course of the nerve running across the upper buttocks and the rear of the thighs.

Sciatica Symptoms

Sciatica is usually a symptom caused by a herniated or bulging intervertebral lumbar disc. Its distinguishing feature is pain in the buttocks and behind the thighs.

Usually, extreme trauma is not the cause of sciatic pain. An action as simple as bending over may bring on sciatic pain.
                                 Standing, lifting, sitting, or straining may aggravate it.
 
 
When someone says, "Life is hard," ask him, "Compared to what?"

Jesus delivers me from my fears.
Jesus comforts me in my loneliness.
Jesus forgives me when I have sinned.
Jesus died for me so that I could live forever.

Jesus, I owe you everything. From the bottom of my heart, I thank You.


Post a Comment