Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Protein in an Alkaline Diet

I am afraid that I may have made the Acid/Alkaline Diet look like it is easy. I have to admit that it is anything but easy. This is the reason that I stress so much that each individual has to research for themselves. I wish that this was not called a diet but a Life Change.

First - I have a very difficult time with the green vegetables which are at the top of the list. However, they are full of Vitamin K, a blood thickener. I am on Coumadin/Warfarin and I have to watch my intake very carefully. This past week I had the same symptoms I had when I had my blood clot last time. I decided that I had better go get my blood drawn and sure enough my blood was too thick. This has not happened in over a year and I really don’t know how to account for it this time - I am usually so careful. "Know your body."

Second - I have a very difficult time with Protein in this diet. I am in no way a vegetarian so I do still eat small amounts of meats. But I cannot do that three times a day. Most health plans stress that you have to have protein in the mornings and also protein in the evenings. Hmmmm!

Third - I am not advocating that anyone give up therapy to do this diet. It worked for me with God’s help but the diet will work for anyone even if you are going through treatment. It is a start.

Fourth - You can get the pH strips on-line at Swansons or at Vitamin Cottage. You can get the book on-line at Amazon or Vitamin Cottage.

Protein in an Alkaline Diet Protein is often equated with animal food products, but legumes, grains, nuts, seeds and vegetables contain protein, too. If you are aiming for a diet that helps achieve acid-alkaline and pH balance, protein sources should include these healthier non-meat options. In addition to protein, they are rich in minerals and vitamins that the body needs to function efficiently and effectively.

About pH
Although pH values vary throughout the body, the body maintains a slightly alkaline 7.4 pH in the blood. An internal buffer allows for this balanced 7.4 pH no matter how poor your diet may be. Over time, however, eating a diet rich in acid-metabolizing foods and lacking in alkaline-metabolizing foods, can cause acid buildup in the tissues, leading to symptoms such as chronic heartburn, back pain, exhaustion and gastritis.

Protein Sources Animal products such as red meat, poultry, seafood and dairy products are protein-rich foods. Soy products are also an excellent source of protein, and a better alkaline-forming alternative, found in foods such as tofu, soy beverages, soybeans, veggie burgers and soy sauce. Legumes, nuts, seeds and grains also provide protein, but less than animal products. One 3-oz. serving of cooked beef chuck contain 21.4 g of protein, while 1 cup of cooked lima beans contain 11.97 g. Potatoes are also a source of protein, providing about 12.4 g in 1 cup of au gratin prepared potatoes.

Alkalinity and Protein SourcesAll food products contain some acid and alkaline-forming properties, and all protein sources are acid-forming to some degree. Legumes, nuts, seeds, grains, soy and potatoes, however, are better choices for an alkaline diet than animal products, which are highly acidic. Potatoes are a highly alkaline-metabolizing food that contains good amounts of protein. Nuts and seeds such as almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are alkaline, but debate exists about the alkalinity of other nuts and seeds. Legumes are acidic, but to a lesser degree than animal protein sources and the legume flageolet beans are alkaline-forming. Grains such as buckwheat, millet and quinoa are alkaline-forming, as are soy milk and tofu.

Fats and Protein In a balanced alkaline diet, it's best to keep fat content low because fats are neither acid or alkaline-forming, but neutral. Protein sources such as legumes, grains, nuts and seeds are excellent choices because they contain much less fat than animal proteins. Animal proteins are high in saturated fat, while legumes, grains, nuts and seeds are low-fat and contain a lot of fiber and other vitamin and minerals
Source
Livestrong.com

"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."
~Flora Whittemore
Post a Comment