Friday, January 14, 2011

Cancer Blood Markers - January 2011

On January 5, 2011 (How can that be?), I had my blood drawn for my six-month blood markers for the endometrial cancer and the breast cancer. It takes a week to get the results so I kind of held my breath and said some extra prayers. On Wednesday evening I received the results of the CA 27-29 (breast cancer marker) and it had gone up a little. I did not receive the CA 125 (endometrial cancer) so I really started sweating and thinking something was really wrong. On Thursday evening I sent an email to my oncologist asking if there was a problem because I always get the results at the same time. Apparently the laboratory did not have enough reagents to run the CA 125 so it took a one-day longer. The office emailed me the results this morning and I finally took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

CA 27-29 is 28 (normal <=38 u/ml) 
                          - it was 23, six months ago after my surgery.
CA 125 is 15 (normal <=34 u/ml) 
                          - it was 12, six months ago.

Both test have come up a little but not enough to cause me concern just yet - well maybe a little. Sadly enough this whole thing is never out of my mind. It is strange how your life changes - you are not the same person that you used to be. When you look good and feel good people do expect you to be the old self you once were - but it just doesn't happen. I do try very hard not to let the cancer rule my life, but in all honesty I am sure that it does.


I will not have the PET scan done this time since the markers are below normal range. I have made the decision to wait another 6 months to see if the markers go up, down, or stay where they are.


I am far from being out of the woods, so please keep praying for strength, courage and peace of mind. 

“I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.” 
                   ~Philippians 4:13
Post a Comment